- Electric Department
- Energy Efficiency and Community Benefit Programs
Energy efficiency and COmmunity benefit programs
The City of Wadsworth offers a number of programs designed to help its electric customers control their electric costs, take advantage of energy saving rebates, and earn monetary rewards while helping reduce high-energy demand -- all with the ultimate goal of lowering everyone's electric bill by reducing peak power demand.
Right Time Pricing
Customers participating in the Right Time Pricing program have the opportunity to take control of their electric costs by shifting their highest energy use to 'off peak' demand times when pricing is lower. With access to information provided by a programmable thermostat (for those with central air and a broadband connection) or an in-home display, customers can choose what to pay by deciding when to use electricity.
The program is open to both residential and commercial customers and the right time pricing device is provided free of charge.
Peak Rewards is Now Called Smart Thermostat Program
Wadsworth’s Peak Rewards thermostat program expired in 2022. This year we have a new Smart Thermostat program called Wadsworth Community Energy Savings program that offers participants one-time incentives and / or rebates.
Ways to Join:
- If you have a smart thermostat (not a peak rewards thermostat), enroll in the program after May 24th.
- If you don’t have a smart thermostat, purchase a new thermostat and enroll after May 24th. Get a $100 rebate back from Efficiency Smart to help offset the cost!
- If you are a previous Peak Rewards member, purchase a new smart thermostat and enroll after May 24th. Your current thermostat will not work in the new program. Get $100 back on your purchase with a rebate from Efficiency Smart to help offset the cost! Also, as a thank you for being a member of our old program, receive up to $100 more from a rebate through the City of Wadsworth.
What you’ll get:
- Upon enrolling in the new program, you’ll receive a $55 gift card from the Energy Hub as a thank you for joining and allowing a small temporary adjustment to your thermostat during peak demand days from June – October each year.
- You may opt out of an event at any time if needed.
Which Thermostats Qualify:
- Most popular brands offer a range of smart thermostats compatible with the new program, including Nest, Honeywell, ecobee, Lux, Sensi, Vivint, Amazon, and Alarm.com.
Note: Thermostats from the Peak Rewards program are not compatible with this new program.
The City of Wadsworth joins other public power communities who are members of American Municipal Power, Inc. (AMP) in Efficiency Smart, a program of energy efficiency services for residential, commercial, and industrial Wadsworth Electric Customers.
For residential customers, Efficiency Smart offers discounts on energy-efficient lighting, rebates for energy-efficient appliances and equipment, and free removal and financial incentives for recycling secondary refrigerators and freezers - incentives and rebates from $10 to as high as $250! Additional information can be found on the Efficiency Smart page.
Technical Assistance & Rebates
Looking to cut costs in your business? Efficiency Smart offers a wide range of incentives and technical assistance to meet the needs of your company, including helping you implement energy-efficient measures that enhance your business' profitability. Rebates are available for businesses in participating communities through both the Business Energy Rebates program and the Custom program. Eligible projects include energy-efficient lighting, HVAC, compressed air, refrigeration, food service, and more, with program qualification determined by your annual electric usage.
The decision to participate in any of these programs is completely voluntary. Learn more by clicking on the links above and get started on energy savings in your home or business!
The City of Wadsworth prides itself in offering efficient and user-friendly utility service, including offering a one-bill system, which combines electric, water, sewer, sanitation, cable, Internet and storm water utilities in one payment. As the City constantly aims to improve upon its service to Wadsworth's homes and businesses, it is now offering the 'next generation' of utility service. To continue to provide our homes and businesses with the most reliable service, the City of Wadsworth conducted a citywide upgrade of its water and electric meters. The new system ensures accurate meter readings and notifies the City of any problems with services that need immediate attention.
Automated Meter System & Leak Detection
The meter improvements have already contributed to savings for the City and for its utility customers. Beginning in 2010, the new remote system has detected over 2500 water leaks for the City's customers. Installation of the water and electric meters allows the City to read the meters remotely, saving on time and expenses required for employees to physically go out to read meters.