What happens if I don't show up for court?

If you do not show up for a scheduled court appearance for a criminal or traffic case in municipal court, you should expect a warrant to be issued for your arrest. This warrant is called a Capias and usually has a bond amount stated within the document. Once you are arrested, the bond must be posted to secure your release from jail. In order to avoid the issuance of a Capias, please see the next question. A Capias also can be expected if you do not pay the fine and do not show up on the date ordered by the court.

You should know that once a Capias is issued, the Clerk of Court can notify the BMV. The BMV in turn blocks the person's driver's license and vehicle registration issuance/renewal, and assesses the person a $15 fee. If you missed a court appearance or failed to pay a fine for a criminal case and think a Capias may have been issued for your arrest, you should immediately call your attorney, if you have one. In any case, you may call the Clerk of Court's office at 330-335-1596 to determine whether a Capias has been issued and the amount of any bond. The clerk's office should be able to give you instructions on how to post bond or otherwise respond to the Capias.

Your failure to appear for a scheduled appearance for a civil case can result in the case being dismissed if you filed the complaint, or a default judgment being rendered against you, if the suit was brought against you.

Show All Answers

1. What are the court costs and deposits?
2. What happens if I don't show up for court?
3. What is Small Claims Court?
4. How is a Small Claim case filed?